My Last Day in Germany

I woke up at 7 and walked to the Rathaus to get a copy of my de-registration form to take with me to Lörrach so that I was able to successfully cancel my cell phone plan.


This is the view from the Rathaus back into town. Walking under the covered bridge brought back so many memories of my first few days in Kandern 2 years ago.

I stopped at the "new cafe" in town to get a latte and then went home only to be picked up by Kim McKell a few minutes later. We drove to Lörrach, I canceled my cell phone plan, and then came back to Kandern to finish last minute packing and cleaning at my house. I walked to the Martins and said a tearful goodbye, then went to Rachel's house for lunch and another goodbye, and once more went back to finish laundry. After my goodbye with the McKells, I walked back to my apartment and was met with the most beautiful sunset on the Hauptstrasse and the path by to my place.

 I did one last walk-through, finished cleaning, and Ellen came over to help me organize my carry-on's, and then we said our goodbye. A last goodbye at the Watsons followed and I snapped the picture below of the fountain in the Marktplatz dressed as an Advent candle on my way.

 Joy Watson took me to the Antrims where I'm staying tonight. The goodbyes were not getting easier and I was sobbing by the time I entered the house. However, a lovely meal of homemade sushi was waiting for me when I arrived.
The last three days have been the hardest of the goodbyes. Yet, I'm so thankful that I was able to do them in this way. I feel ready. I feel prepared. And I can't wait to see John tomorrow.

So long, Germany. I will always refer to you as my other home, my other country, and will smile whenever I hear your language, which I've still yet to become remotely fluent in at all.

Auf Wiedersehen

Comments

Popular Posts