The Man Who Came to Dinner

Where to begin? Do I start by saying that I still feel like we just had auditions yesterday? Or that I still feel like we should be opening in 2 weeks and not closing tonight? I had more fun with this cast than I've ever had before. Every night I came home and I would think to myself, "Wow. This is my job! I get to do THIS!"

If you're not familiar with the story line of the play, it is about Sheridan Whiteside, a famous radio orator, critic, and lecturer from the 1930s. Whiteside never goes out but is invited by the wealthy Stanley family to have dinner in Ohio. Upon arriving, he falls and injures his hip and is holed up in their home for 2 weeks. The play opens here, 2 weeks after his fall and it all goes downhill from there for the Stanley family. Whiteside's secretary, Maggie, falls in love with the local newspaper journalist, Bert Jefferson and because Whiteside is afraid of losing Maggie, he calls in his friend, actress Lorraine Sheldon, to come and try to lure Bert away from Maggie. In the end, his plan fails and on his way out of the house, he falls and injures himself again.

The play was a success among our community and I am beyond proud of my actors and crew who worked hard to bring this to life. As with any show ending, I always mourn it a little bit because it is somewhat like the breaking up of a family. All in all, it was a wonderful experience and one show that will always hold a special place in my heart.







Comments

Popular Posts