Walking With the Reformers

Yesterday was probably one of the best days I've had in a long time. Myself, Amy, Justina, Rachel, & Lexi took a day trip to Geneva, which is about 2 and a half hrs from here. We left a very cold, snowy, and dreary day in Kandern and by the time we got to Geneva, there was no snow and the sun was shining! It was such a welcomed relief from the gloominess we've been experiencing as of late.

Geneva is in the French speaking part of Switzerland and so we were really glad that Justina is fluent because the rest of us were quite awful at it (although, Justina told me I had a really good accent of a French person trying to speak English). This is when I wish I'd paid attention in Madam Hickox's French class in high school. Oh well.

Our main goal was to see the Reformation sights because as all of you versed in Reformed theology know, Geneva is the home of the Swiss Reformation and Monsieur Jean Cauvin (or as we all know him, John Calvin). I was in awe of the Reformation Wall, which is a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be and quite breathtaking.

Here's me in front of three of the four Reformers (L-R Farel, Calvin, Beza, & Knox, who got cut off. Which is sad since he's the reason there's a Presbyterian church):


Next we went to St. Pierre's Cathedral where Calvin preached:


On our way to the Reformation Museum, I snapped this pic of me and a kind of creepy cartoon looking Calvin:

I was quite impressed with the Museum. There were relics of letters that Calvin wrote, an original copy of the Institutes, and a plethora of information on all of the Reformers. It was interesting to see just how much the Reformation really affected evangelization and the Gospel. Having studied Calvin in seminary and being a five pointer myself, I was in a bit of heaven all day long. Not to mention, it made it better getting to go with friends!


Comments

Popular Posts