I Remember

The night before 9/11, my friends and I had gone out for my roommate, Erika's birthday.  Her actual birthday was on September 11, but for some reason, we had decided to celebrate the night before.  We went to the Cheesecake Factory in City Place and then went back home for drinks.  Everyone went to bed that night not thinking that the next day, our world would be changed forever.

I didn't go to class the next morning.  I think I might have not felt good or was just using up one of three skip days to chill at home.  I signed online and was still trying to wake up when I saw the pictures of one of the World Trade Centers on fire.  Underneath the picture was a caption that read "Commercial airline flies into World Trade Center."  Honestly, my first thought was "What idiot would do that?  Was the pilot asleep?"  Right after that, my mother called me and told me what was going on.  I remember feeling numb and knowing that I'd never forget this moment in my life.  I think this was the first time I ever remember not feeling safe in my own country.

I tend to think of 9/11, especially when I'm in an airport going through security, knowing that the reason security has been so guarded is because of what happened.  I think of it when I'm walking off the plane and how ten years ago, people could actually meet you at the gate and not at the front of the airport.  Even now, it's still eerie to see a picture of New York City with the towers still rising above and knowing that was "before 9/11."

A lot has happened in 10 years and there are many experiences I've forgotten about.  But I'll never forget where I was and what I was doing ten years ago today.

Comments

Popular Posts